Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Hello, I was terminated in February, I believe they made up

fictitious things. A little...
Hello, I was terminated in February, I believe they made up fictitious things. A little background,
I was hired in July 2012, by late Sept. I was made a lead, and by late Nov. / Early Dec. I was promoted to Supervisor. I was never given my raise, #1 for the promotion. Secondly, I was never wrote up, not once, never had any verbals, etc. Suddenly, first week of Feb. 2013, I was terminated. When I called HR myself, I asked for a reason of termination.
That launched an investigation, i was informed:
I allegedly had slept/fooled around with my contact at the location I was sent to work,(absolutely not true!!!) For background on this, one Supervisor that worked with our Company, she was in fact sleeping with an employee, for several months, of the location we were sent to work, she put in for a transfer, and received it.
Had a fall out on jobs I was running (Never once)
Didn't do any audits, (again, not true, I documented every one)

There are so many more things, but the above is what upsets me the most. I was working 2nd shift, the 2 day shift supervisors, had recommended me to take over the entire 2nd shift, and 3 days later I was terminated. Many people keep telling me to sue, defamation of character, discrimination (which i would have to go more into on that), but i honestly dont' know where to go, or how to approach such things?
9/13/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Did you have any written contract for employment?

Were you fired based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?

No written contract. I worked for a contingent company, which could send me to several locations, but I worked for one location, and worked approximately 40 - 65/hr wk.

I was not terminated because of age/race/sex/disability/national origin.

Thank you for your reply.

First, I am afraid that employment in OH is considered to be at will, which means you could be fired for no reason at all or for any reason other than based only on your age/race/sex/disability and your sole recourse is filing for unemployment. If they fired you for an incorrect reason, you still, because they can fire you for no reason, only can fight them in unemployment if they try to deny your benefits.

If they are making known false statements about you to third parties, while you cannot sue because of the termination, you can sue them for defamation if you can prove that the statements they are making they know to be false. The problem in these cases is proving they know the statements they are making about you are false. If they did a negligent investigation, this can be the basis for the defamation suit and you really need a local attorney to represent you on this type of case because it can get complicated in proving that the investigation was negligent and came to false conclusions.

There is no claim for discrimination though if the termination was not based only on your age/race/sex/disability, only the negligent investigation/defamation claim

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney