Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work on call for security company with no contract. Are there

laws to govern how many...
I work on call for security company with no contract. Are there laws to govern how many hours I can be worked in 24 hour period? I will be called for three or four different jobs in 24 hours with no down time to speak of and get in trouble if I say no.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetfighter :

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

wallstreetfighter :

Are you a w2 employee?

wallstreetfighter :

Are you paid overtime?

Customer:

Yes I receive a w2.

Customer:

I am paid overtime

wallstreetfighter :

Under the law in NV, an employer is not regulated by any laws limiting employee hours,

wallstreetfighter :

under the law an employee only has to be paid overtime,

wallstreetfighter :

only Union or contract employees have limits on hours,

Customer:

That is what I was afraid of.

wallstreetfighter :

Unless you can claim discrimination based upon your race, gender, age or other protected right, the law does not protect you

Customer:

I worked 4 different shift in 30 hours and got in trouble when I refused the next one with out down time.

Customer:

If you refuse shifts my employer has a reputation for not working you any more.

wallstreetfighter :

That is clearly unprofessional, however the law in NV allows the employer to act this way,

wallstreetfighter :

unless he is doing this due to your age, race, gender, or other protected civil right you have no protection.

Customer:

Nevada has never been a worker friendly state. If my hours are cut back, can I file for unemployment?

wallstreetfighter :

If they cut your hours significantly you can apply for partial benefits, for example if you were given 40 hours per week and now are cut to 20, you could apply for partial, but if you were getting 80 hours and were cut to 40, the UI office would not provide it

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help. I have a meeting in a few hours and needed some answers.

wallstreetfighter :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit,

wallstreetfighter :

thank you

Customer:

Thanks

wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer