Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a manager and an employee filed harassment charges in

HR, against me. Am I...
I am a manager and an employee filed harassment charges in HR, against me. Am I entitled to see the complaint and what was said? Or is it confidential legally?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/3/2013
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

There is no general rule that says it is against the law to let someone see the complaint against them.

JD 1992 :

There could, conceivably, be stuff in there that is confidential.

Customer:

It is slandering me. Shouldn't I have the right to defend myself?

JD 1992 :

You can, but some things are privileged by law. Also, you don't have any "rights" until you get into court.

Customer:

If the employee goes to EEOC or gets a lawyer how can I know what was said about me?

JD 1992 :

If they go to the EEOC you can get a copy of anything they file. If you get sued, which they can only do after they go to the EEOC, then you have the right to request a copy of anything that is rlevant.

Customer:

Okay. That helps a lot. Thank you

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and glad to be of help. Anything else before I exit to assist others?

Customer:

No. Thanks.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer