How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12479
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently am eligible for a tuition reimbursement at my current

This answer was rated:

I currently am eligible for a tuition reimbursement at my current employer that they would pay an x amount back to me over the next three years as long as I show proof of my repayments. Since this is not part of my income can this reimbursement be taxed?

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you, I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The amount of the reimbursements is still taxable income even though the amounts are presumably paid directly to your academic institution. (See Reg.
§ 1.6121(a)(4) "A benefit provided on behalf of an employee is taxable to an employee even if the benefit is received by someone other than the employee...")

Accordingly, the IRS will require that you pay tax on these amounts. You may, however, be eligible for an itemized deduction for eduction expenses which can offset some of the taxes you will owe.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

I am having a bit of trouble understanding the negative rating, as I do believe I accurately and promptly answered your question. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know and I will do everything I can. If there is not and you are merely displeased with the news I have provided, please consider that I do this for a living and negative ratings reflect very poorly on me. I am doing my very best here but it is discouraging to receive negative ratings when I have done everything I can to help you.

Thank you for your reply and I look forward to helping you further if necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not mean to hit negative rating i am sorry I am having a of problem with my computer. Is there anyway I can fix the rating because you have helped me out.


No problem at all. I've got to say I'm relieved there was no shortcoming in my service. Smile

The negative rating should be erased by clicking a positive rating on this "answer." That will override the previous one.

As always, if I can provide any clarification or additional information for you, please do not hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you and I have one last question. Even though I do pay the loans and I show my employer my payments and they have in contract to reimburse me a certain amount up to what I pay over three years it is still taxed?


Yes, the full amount of their contribution is taxed pursuant to section 1.6121(a)(4). Basically, the reimbursement is still part of your "compensation." Even though you are not receiving it directly, it is being paid toward something for your benefit and, accordingly, you must pay tax on that amount.

Please let me know if I can provide any further clarification.
Patrick, Esq. and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you