Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work in a male dominated professional environment. After

a year and a half...
I work in a male dominated professional environment. After a year and a half I finally had an encounter that caused me to say that's it I an going to HR. The basic situation was that I was complaining that a co worker was not where they were supposed to be at a certain time. We run on very set time schedules. I asked another co worker who had access to a phone to please call and find out where this person was. After the person came and I could leave for a short break another female over heard them talking about their feelings about women and especially their feelings about pms and menstrual cycles. She happened to see me on break and told me what happened. When I returned to my area I told the biggest offender that I did not appreciate what was said. At this point I was told I am not one of those women, I am on the list of over sensitive women. I'm just like his wife (whom he talks poorly of all the time) etc etc. During this I tell him to stop he is only making me more angry. He kept going on and then ended it with we will talk later. This whole thing happened in front of subordinates and customers. I told he and that was at least three weeks ago. I still work with these men everyday. Yesterday I was told by a another female coworker that he was announcing no one look or say anything about.pretty women. Don't look at her we have to create a fair environment. Today a female coworker told this man that she didn't like a particular co worker and that was why she moved areas for the day. He then went right over and told this male co worker about it. she found out from another female co worker. When she confronted him about it he dented the whole thing. These female coworkers are feeling that their work environment is hostile. I am afraid to advise them what to do since I feel it could be construed as retailaion. I never signed a confidentality agreement nor was I advised on retaliation. also I have no heard a resolution as to my situation. What do I report? When do I ask questions? This is only one example of one male and the situations ideal with on a daily basis. I have a laundry list of names of men who have said some horrible things to women regarding their clothes, their "attitude problems" and complete disregard to trying to follow standard operating procedure when it comes to females. What am I supposed to do to try and help my female coworkers and create a better environment for them? Do I complain for everyone? or does that seem overblown?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/28/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is a serious issue,

WALLSTREETLAW :

if the female employees will support you in your complaint, you should consider sending a letter to the HR stating that the male employees through their actions have create a hostile work environment for the female employees, and if no action is taken to rectify the situation,

WALLSTREETLAW :

many employees will have no other choice but to file an EEOC civil rights complaint,

WALLSTREETLAW :

If the employer fails to take any action,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can file an official complaint on behalf of yourself

Customer:

Well I have been to be and another female and nothing seems to have been done yet.

WALLSTREETLAW :

the others would have to file for themselves

WALLSTREETLAW :

Do you have evidence that the employer had notice of the environment?

Customer:

I know hr is supposed to talk to the complainant about the resolution. How long is too long to wait?

WALLSTREETLAW :

To file a claim with the EEOC, contact the nearest local EEOC office. More information about filing a claim with the EEOC can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/howtofil.html.

EEOC — Cincinnati Area Office
550 Main Street
Suite 10019
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
EEOC — Cleveland District Office
1660 West Second Street
Suite 850
Cleveland, OHNNN-NN-NNNN
Phone: (216) 522-200
WALLSTREETLAW :

I would not wait more than two weeks,

Customer:

Yes I went three weeks ago. but now it seems to be a running joke. Rather than serious.

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would file an EEOC complaint,

WALLSTREETLAW :

once you file this will be taken seriously,

Customer:

But when do I file one? How long do I wait? I still work very closely with these people constantly 8 hours a day.

WALLSTREETLAW :

and the employer will be prohibited from taking any negative action against you

WALLSTREETLAW :

You file by contacting the EEOC,

Customer:

Females don't want to support complaints because they fear retaliation.

WALLSTREETLAW :

at the location listed above.

Customer:

How long is a reasonable aiming

WALLSTREETLAW :

You can advise them that once an official complaint is made,

WALLSTREETLAW :

retaliation is against the law,

WALLSTREETLAW :

a reasonable time is two weeks to respond,

Customer:

Timing for hr to deal with the complainants. And when do I report things I've g

Customer:

Heard from other women?

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would only report the harassment you face,

Customer:

If I advise these other women to go

WALLSTREETLAW :

when the EEOC investigates the matter,

WALLSTREETLAW :

they will interview the other females, and if cooperative,

WALLSTREETLAW :

they may sue the employer or allow you to file a lawsuit,

Customer:

If I advise these women to go to hr can it be viewed as retaliation?

WALLSTREETLAW :

They can also force the employer to settle

Customer:

IIf I advise these women to go to hr can it be viewed as retaliation?

Customer:

Hello?

WALLSTREETLAW :

no

WALLSTREETLAW :

What is best at this point is an EEOC complaint,

WALLSTREETLAW :

as that will provide you with official retaliation protection,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can advise the others to either file an EEOC complaint,

WALLSTREETLAW :

or send a letter to hr,

WALLSTREETLAW :

the employer will be considered to have retaliated against them if they take negative action for sending the letter

Customer:

If I didn't sign a confidentiality agreement can I tell them my story? Or is it implied?

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can tell your story,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you are not prohibited in any way from amking a discrimination complaint

WALLSTREETLAW :

making

Customer:

I can tell other women my story to help them make the decision then?

WALLSTREETLAW :

yes

Customer:

Ok thank you. I appreciate your time.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer