Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a physician working for a large hospital group. Do the

labor laws requiring a break...
I am a physician working for a large hospital group. Do the labor laws requiring a break and meal breaks apply to me? I am in Washington state.
8/27/2013

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Just to be clear, you are working as a physician, correct? I ask because physicians are generally 'exempt' from labor laws, which means that breaks and meal exceptions do not generally apply. As an 'exempt' worker based on the fact you work as a professional, you are not given the same rights and obligations as an hourly laborer or worker who is not in an administrative, professional, or executive classifications. As a consequence there is no break requirement.

I am sorry.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney