Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I had a employer that belittled, and threaten me with me job.

This is a company that...
I had a employer that belittled, and threaten me with me job. This is a company that has a a board of wealthy oilfield companies. can a law suit started or would this be a bad idea
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/27/2013
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Do you have a contract of employment stating that you can only be terminated for cause?

How were you belittled? Was it based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use?

there was no contract. I was told that my work was not good enough and that there was people know by the operation manger that could do my job in half the time and was told that the executive president said that I wasn't worth keeping etc. I believe it was because of race

Why do you believe it was because of race?

I'm just trying to understand the underlying facts. These are questions you'll have to answer in order to get this claim going, so I need to know your answer to be able to give you my impression of whether or not the claim would be a bad idea.

well.... I am Hispanic but I also worked with white folks and the treatment was very different. and I have other individuals that worked there are also Hispanic and felt and seen the same thing. she also let another employee belittle me and I complained and no actions occur

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that she only belittles Hispanics and not white folks?

that is correct everything but whites. I even seen her treat a black man unfair

Ok. You need to contact the EEOC in your state. That is the agency that investigates discrimination on the basis of race/national origin. It does so for free.

If you file through them, they can investigate and tell you whether or not it is a good idea to bring a lawsuit. Most importantly, filing a claim with them is a legally protected activity, meaning that you can't legally be retaliated against for filing it.

That is how you should proceed.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer