Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer let me go as part of a reduction in force but realized

after the fact this voided...
My employer let me go as part of a reduction in force but realized after the fact this voided my non compete agreement. They now are stating due to findings I should have been let go for cause therefore the non-compete is valid. Is it possible for them to change 60 days after to prevent my seeking employment with a competitor?
8/24/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

NO they cannot just change the reason for your termination at their whim to try to save their non-compete agreement. In fact, such a change would be seen as bad faith and would likely give you grounds to seek attorney's fees from them in addition to your damages if you are forced to go to court against them to win your case against them for breach of contract.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney