Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My husband who was a plant manager and no longer working for

the company is in a...
My husband who was a plant manager and no longer working for the company is in a lawsuit from employees accused of racial and sexual harassment , what I would like to know if this could affect me his spouse and my assets-homes , vehicles and money?
8/23/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

Is he being sued under his name or is his company or former employer?

wallstreetfighter :

If the lawsuit are on his name, that could be an issue,

wallstreetfighter :

if a judgment is given to the employees, and it is in his name, all his personal assets can be taken, that includes joint assets with your name on them,

wallstreetfighter :

Since TX is a community property states,

wallstreetfighter :

state

wallstreetfighter :

property only in your name can be attached,

wallstreetfighter :

Community property consists of the property, other than separate property, acquired by either spouse during marriage. This is true even if only one spouse has possession of the property. Just because one spouse is named on the title, deed, or account; one person receives the asset as payment for personal services (ie: salary); or the asset will not be paid until a future date (ie: retirement) do not make it separate property. There is a presumption that all property possessed by either spouse is community property

wallstreetfighter :

However, most lawsuits of this nature are against the employer not a specific person,

wallstreetfighter :

if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask,

wallstreetfighter :

If this is the case,

wallstreetfighter :

by creating a trust or corporation to put your property in to avoid any potential lawsuit collection,

wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer