How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 30357
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello and Thank you - today I was given an indefinite suspension,

This answer was rated:

Hello and Thank you - today I was given an indefinite suspension, without notice. Confiscation of my hosp. ID, Hospital cell, and keys, closed my email access. Solid evaluations in good standing since 2008, 1 month ago eval 2.8/3 with no mentions of issues. Today asked to meet with VP Chief Nursing Officer, Manager Human resources, and my director. Accused of Bullying, physical intimidation of staff, confidentiality issues - nothing in writing, asked to accept indefinite suspension, told they want to step back and assess whether to go forward with action plan or separate relationship.
My director, medical director MD and Intensive care director are all very supportive.
Can I be helped???

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I apologize for the delay. I posted an answer earlier and it apparently did not go through.

Unless you have an employment contract that guarantees that termination may only be for cause, unfortunately, there is no recourse against the employer in this situation. There is no right to continued employment, which also means that an employer may suspend an employee, with or without pay, for as long as the employer believes it is necessary. They don't have to give written warnings or hearings.

The only exception is if you have any reason to believe that the suspension is based on your status as a member of a protected class, such as race, religion, ethnicity, age, etc. In that case, you would have the ability to file a discrimination claim with the EEOC to obtain a right to sue letter. If you have any reason to believe that there is unlawful discrimination involved, then you may want to consider talking to a local attorney. Otherwise, unfortunately, they're allowed to suspend you. Usually, a person who is suspended from work without pay may seek unemployment. However, if they have any evidence of the things they are claiming, they may be able to defeat your claim.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you