How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19221
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I quit my job last week and my employer was furious. Now hes

This answer was rated:

I quit my job last week and my employer was furious. Now hes telling me I either have to pay him for a mistake I made or they're pressing charges. What should I do??
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Pressing charges for what? What mistake did you make? I need more information here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I haul chickens for a butchering company. I pick them up at farms and then deliver them to the butcher house. My last trip I picked up from the wrong location and my boss told me it cost them $1000 and they want me to pay them that $1000

Ok. They can't 'press charges' against you for anything. You have committed no criminal action at all. They are simply trying to intimidate you into paying them.

Now, it is true that if you made a mistake they can try to sue for damages. That being said, they have to prove negligence on your part and they have to prove the exact amount of those damages.

I believe that your former employer will find that the cost of trying to sue for something like this will exceed any benefit they would get out of it.

So, don't worry about criminal charges. That's not possible here. At best, XXXXX XXXXX sue you in civil court, but even that is unlikely. Most likely, this will just pass and they'll not give you a good reference (but you likely expected that anyway because they are mad you left). Worst case scenario is that they try to sue in you small claims court, where they have the burden to prove their entire case.
Allen M., Esq. and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you