How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for Securitas security. Securitas has a contract with

This answer was rated:

I work for Securitas security. Securitas has a contract with the University. I am posted at the University. Can I legally see the contract?

Thank you for the information and your question. If you are asking if you can force your employer, or the University to show you the contract between the two entities, then no, absent a subpoena as a result of a law suit, you would have no right or legal access to that contract.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Even with a wage increase that is in dispute? I can not afford an attorney to file a law suit or how to contact an attorney that works on this type of case.

Hello again and thank you for your reply. Why would a contract between your employer and the university have anything to do with your wage dispute with your employer? Can you be more specific. Were you offered a specific amount of wages, either in a written contract or verbally by your employer and are you being paid that wage? A bit more detail would help me, help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In 2010 a 3 year contract was signed with the University . In feb of 2011 the client found that we were not receiving our raise and was upset because he stated that the contract was increased 3% yearly due to us getting raises. He complained to Securitas and we were given our July,2010 in Feb 2011 retroactive to July 2010 with an admonishment that we "Sould not hyave waited 7 months to tell them". Then the next raise due July 2011 was given with no problem. The next raise was due July 2012 but the new Manager refuses to give the raise stating
There is nothing in the contract giving you people a raise and he does not know how we got the 2 raises

Hello again Brian and thank you for that reply, however, you didn't directly address the issue as to whether the employees and the employer have a contract or written agreement for a certain wage that the employer is not complying with. That, under the law, is the only relevant contract and wage agreement as far as the employees go. If there is a dispute between the employer and the customer about what the employer is or isn't paying their employees, then that is a contractual action between those two entities.

The employer is correct in the sense that the only wage agreement that controls employee wages is that between the employer and the employee. So, although an employee can let the customer know that they aren't getting the wages stated in the contract between the employer and the customer, there is no legal standing on the part of the employee to file suit against the employer for not paying what they say they are paying in the contract with the customer.

Again, the employee is only entitled to the wages they agreed to with the employer, not to the wages the employer bases their contract negotiations on with the customer. Although this might not seem fair, it is perfectly legal. In fact many times, a contract company will bill for employees at a higher rate of pay than the employee gets. That is simply their way of getting their "percentage." As an example, a law firm may bill a first year associates time to the client at $100/hr, but only pay the associate $30 or $40/hr. That is legal and is a part of accounting for overhead,etc.

But just to reiterate what I initially said in my first response about access to a contract that you are not a party to, that can only come from a subpoena during litigation.
Marsha411JD and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you