Employment Law

I have a pension that I am drawing monthly that is from a…

Customer Question
I have a pension that...
I have a pension that I am drawing monthly that is from a Trade Union Trust that i worked through for 30years. I retired in 2002. The Trust restricts me from going back to work and drawing my pension if I return to work in "The Industry" unless I don't fit one of three following criterion.
The Retirement Trust Reads:
If you... Read full answer
The Retirement Trust Reads:
If you retire and later go back to work, your pension benefit could be affected. This will occur if your work meets all three of these conditions:
~within the geographic area covered by the Plan which for purposes of this Section shall consist of all of the State of Alaska and the State of Washington;
~in a job classification in which the Participant was employed while in Covered Employment, whether or not such employment is under the terms of a Collective Bargaining Agreement or written Contribution Agreement or in a supervisory capacity over such job classification; and
~in the industry in which the Individual Employers participate (any business activity of the type engaged in by the Individual Employers maintaining the Plan).
Work that meets all three of these conditions is called “post- retirement service.” If you begin this type of work, you must notify the administration office immediately. You will not be entitled to a retirement benefit for any month in which you work 51 or more hours of post-retirement service.
If you return to work without notifying the administration office, they will presume you are working 51 or more hours of post- retirement service as soon as they learn of your reemployment. They will also presume you have been working at your job site for as long as your employer has been working at that site. Both these presumptions will be subject to change if you can prove they are incorrect.
When you again retire, you should notify the administration office so they can start paying your retirement income again. If you received retirement benefits for any month you worked 51 or more hours of post-retirement service, the administration office
31
My question involve the second criterion. My job would not be in any classification I worked in before when in the Union. I am thinking it would be prudent to have a letter written from the company that wants to employ me stipulating that I will not be used in any capacity that would infringe on this and perhaps reviewed by a labor lawyer. Also, if this does not fit all three as they stipulate then I am interpreting this as that I am allowed to work in the industry and I don't need to inform them.
I am eager to hear your thoughts! Thank you!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/30/2013
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wayne, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Attorney Wayne

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system until satisfied. Instead, please click CONTINUE CONVERSATION for more info.

Thanks for contacting us. You are very wise to check beforehand and take adequate steps to keep the pension unhindered.

Yes, by all means speak to an attorney. I might have that person contact the union pension plan's general counsel (or if there is no legal officer in the union, then the plan administrator) to provide a an opinion. This should be in writing and directly reference the particulars of the job under consideration.

If this can be arranged, it will create a paper trail of evidence should a different administration of the plan try to renege.

It may be that the union won't play along with this. If so, then it is a judgment call as to the legal ramifications. I'd try to focus on a lawyer who may have represented union retirees in disputes with the pension plan in earlier cases. He or she is likely to have better structural knowledge of the pension plan's organization and proclivities. He may also have established relationship with plan administrators or lawyers that can help smooth things over should there be any dispute now or in the future. While lawyers will zealously represent their clients, those who represent the opposite side in any dispute respect their worthy adversaries, often socialize with them and certainly are I a position to know and trust certain lawyers more than others. Try to find someone who is both zealous in pursuit of a client's interests, but also respected and considered wise by his adversaries. That's the one who can make things happen -- often without the fisticuffs of litigation.

I wish you speedy resolution in this matter.

Hi again.
Just checking if you have any follow up on the employment law question. If so, please post it in the next text box. If not, please remember that experts only get paid if the customer rates them good or excellent. Thanks for your consideration in closing the question out!

Best regards,
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
After retirement can someone work at a job that is not in
After retirement can someone work at a job that is not in the jurisdiction of the original union without losing there pension? The union does not dispatch or train the person the the new career? … read more
Judge Bill K ret.
Judge Bill K ret.
retired,
Good morning, I have worked same company since 1988, at that
Good morning, I have worked for the same company since 1988, at that time they had a pension plan. Just recently a new company has taken over, employee's have been notified that the pension plan will … read more
KLAW
KLAW
I have a question regarding the anti cutback provision of
I have a question regarding the anti cutback provision of ERISA section 204(G). I retired under a provision stating that I would not seek post retirement work in the same job ( my effective date was 1… read more
Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi i am a union sheet metal worker i am thinking of going none
Hi i am a union sheet metal worker i am thinking of going none union to get steady employment i have about 10 years in the union i didnt put any of my money towards my pension or401a plan can i draw m… read more
I worked for AT&T under a union contract with a pension for
I worked for AT&T under a union contract with a pension for 22 years and last year AT&T sold my division to Cerebrus Capital Management and now spun us off as YPHoldings. My concern is whether or not … read more
I retired from the State of NJ in 2011. Due to a number of
I retired from the State of NJ in 2011. Due to a number of salary adjustments during my three year employment, the State of NJ has arrived at a pension amount per year approx. $2,000. less than I am e… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
As a non tenured teacher with 25 years of service my contract
As a non tenured teacher with 25 years of service my contract was not renewed for the upcoming school year. One supervisor didn't think I was a good fit in the last school where I was reassigned to wo… read more
Lawyer,
What is a (Bargaining unit alumni) in the ERISA Law and how
What is a (Bargaining unit alumni) in the ERISA Law and how does it impact on active working people. Do you have to be retire to be in that classification. If you are retire can you work in the same i… read more
Employment Lawyer,
The Erisa law permits multi employer pension plans to suspend
The Erisa law permits multi employer pension plans to suspend benefits if one was to go back to work in the same industry, the same trade, and same geographical area. Does this mean I go back to work … read more
How can I find out what happened to my father's pension
How can I find out what happened to my father's pension after the company he worked for shut down. My father is Henry March Jr{deceased] and the company that shut down was RC Motor Lines. His wife and… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Good afternoon My wife is thinking of retiring and drawing
Good afternoon: My wife is thinking of retiring and drawing her company pension and SS. She is then planning to work for the same employer on a part time basis as in independent contractor without any… read more
Employment lawyer,
I worked for the Max Restaurant Group for 15 years and was
I worked for the Max Restaurant Group for 15 years and was terminated in June, 2010. I participated in a profit sharing plan with the Max Restaurant Group, for which I was 100% vested and have, I beli… read more
LadyJustice
LadyJustice
Attorney & Counselor At Law,
Stop searching for answers—
iF A BIG UTILITY COMPANY FREEZES YOUR RETIREMENT AFTER YOU
iF A BIG UTILITY COMPANY FREEZES YOUR RETIREMENT AFTER YOU HAVE WORKED FOR THEM FOR 30 YEARS AND YOU ARE NOT AT RETIREMENT AGE SO YOUR PENSION IS SMALL NOW IS THIS LEGAL… read more
LadyJustice
LadyJustice
Attorney & Counselor At Law,
I worked at Michael Reese Hospital as Head Nurse for several
I worked at Michael Reese Hospital as Head Nurse for several years starting in 1960. Who can I contact to get my pension?… read more
LadyJustice
LadyJustice
Attorney & Counselor At Law,
I am a retired employee of a county government in Michigan.
I am a retired employee of a county government in Michigan. I was offered reemployment by the county in my same position and accepted. Subsequently after being branded a "double dipper" as a result of… read more
Attorney,
Worked under the Central Pension Fund of the International
Worked under the Central Pension Fund of the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 501 in Nevada. My statements show I am vested in the plan up until 2007. Have not received participant Sta… read more
Judith
Judith
Owner,
I worked for a Shriffs Office for more than 25 years. I was
I worked for a Shriff's Office for more than 25 years. I was the Chief of Corrections at the time the Sheriff walked into my office and told me I was being "forcibly Retired as Dsabled". He never noti… read more
I was hired by X in 1973. After 9 years of service I was
I was hired by "X" in 1973. After 9 years of service I was offered and accepted a job with a new Joint Venture in 1982. X had formed this JV with a German company as a 50/50 venture. I worked at the J… read more