TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I was terminated from my job for being late because of pain

I was terminated from my job for being late because of pain management medicine. The company was provided all info concerning meds I'm taking from day one of my employment.

Thank you for your question, and I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

I think the best thing here is to start with an explanation of the law in this area and then discuss your case in particular. In Kansas, and throughout the United States, employment law heavily favors the employer in most situations. Unless the employee has a contract which provides that the employee may only be terminated for cause, the law will hold that the employee's right to work falls under the At Will Doctrine. The At Will Doctrine provides that an employer may terminate an employee for any reason whatsoever, even if it is a false reason. The only limitation on this is that an employer may not terminate an employee because of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry of the employee.

In your case, you say you were terminated because you were late to work for going to a doctor, even though someone else was allowed to be late for the same reason.

Do you have an employment contract which defines the reasons for which you can be terminated?

If not, does the employer have a written policy regarding needing time off for medical appointments?

Given that the employer may have a right to terminate you for any reason that the employer believes is fit, do you believe that the termination was actually based on discrimination regarding your race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry?

Did you request time off or provide notice to the employer that you might be late because of this medical issue?