Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was hired 7 months ago by a lawfirm, I am a paralegal with

25+ years of experience an...
I was hired 7 months ago by a lawfirm, I am a paralegal with 25+ years of experience an am 61 years old. I was put on salary and told I would give work to the lawyer's wife(supervise) but that never happened. Any attempt by me to get her to help with the large volume of work failed. I was the only person in the small firm prudicing documents and I was expected to be ready each day when clients came in to sign the many documents. In order to meet the demands, I was forced to work 12-14 hours/day and was rudely abused verbally by the wife and her sister who made up the 4 person firm. On instructions from my husband, I began to record conversations and e-mails to document my job. After 7 months of abuse I callede the wife on the fact that it was illegal to pay me by salary with no one to supervise. She admits on tape she knows its illegal, her daughter who just graduated from law school also told her it was illegal, and the husband lawyer also knows its illegal. Just after my challenge to not being paid for all the hoursw I have had to work to get the job done, I was fired. I believe the tape recording swhows a conspiracy to violate my civil rights by the parties involved?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, you have several issues here,

wallstreetfighter :

first you should consider an overtime claim against the employer, if they have not paid you for your time spent,

wallstreetfighter :

Second, the lack of supervision by the attorney could lead to a license suspension by the State bar association, and you can file a complaint with the State Bar against the attorneys,

wallstreetfighter :

In Tn, you should consider filing a wage complaint, or even hire a wage attorney to bring suit for the unpaid overtime,

wallstreetfighter :

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
220 French Landing Drive
Nashville, TNNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>Division of Labor Standards
Ph:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>[email protected]

wallstreetfighter :

The Department of Labor considers paralegals to be in a class that is nonexempt from overtime, and it has confirmed that position in at least seven opinion letters, not to mention the Fair Labor Standards Act.

wallstreetfighter :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

Good Morning. I am the paralegal described in the above chat, which was submitted by my husband to obtain some preliminary information. The job I just lost is in Tennessee. I would think I should hire a labor attorney first?

I would contact the labor board first as it will be free if they take the case in regards XXXXX XXXXX overtime issues, an attorney could sue the Law Firm as well, in terms of the supervision issues, the Bar Association would handle that matter.
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer