wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I Have been working at a company for the last 5 years as part

I Have been working at a company for the last 5 years as part time (under 30 hours), no benefit employee hourly employee. My company has told me have to become full time (40 hours) employee and with a 25% per hour pay cut or lose my position. The job description has not changed. Is the legal?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, CT, is an at will State so the employer is allowed to make any changes to your job hours as they wish, unless it violates an existing employment contract,

wallstreetfighter :

or violates a Union agreement.

wallstreetfighter :

If you are forced to work full time, you may be given benefits, that would make your wages the same or higher,

wallstreetfighter :

However, regardless of the salary issues, the employer could do this, and if you refuse, they could deny you unemployment benefits, by claiming you quit your job,