Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employment was terminated after 4 years of service. I have

My employment was terminated after...
My employment was terminated after 4 years of service. I have had no written disciplines of any kind. A coworker any myself had a misunderstanding which prompted my coworker to call our new supervisor and "tattle" on me. I went back to try to talk to my coworker when I heard her on the phone with the new supervisor. Of course, this upset me even more so I sent an email to my supervisor stating I was leaving for the day. I came back the next day, I apologized and things were going good that morning. After 3 hours of work, I was called to HR and they told me to leave for the day and come back the next day to find out if my employment was terminated. I went back in the next day and was told that my job was terminated. There are more details to this but this is the main issue. I just need to know if I should seek out legal counsel for a wrongful termination. Thank you!
7/16/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation,

wallstreetfighter :

under the law in MI,

wallstreetfighter :

an employer can terminate any employee at anytime and for any reason,except if the employee is a member of a Union, or has an employment contract where the contract stated, an employee cannot be terminated without cause

wallstreetfighter :

If you have a contract that states you can only be terminated for cause, you could have a valid wrongful discharge,

wallstreetfighter :

If you do not have a specific contract,

wallstreetfighter :

a wrongful discharge case will not be allowed,

wallstreetfighter :

Michigan is an at will State,

wallstreetfighter :

Unless you can claim discrimination, a lawsuit will not be possible,

wallstreetfighter :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.

Customer:

If I could possibly prove that they fired me to place someone else in my position and possibly prove age discrimination, would I have a case?

wallstreetfighter :

it is possible if you are 40 years are over,

wallstreetfighter :

and they replaced you with a younger worker,

Customer:

I am 59 years old.

wallstreetfighter :

if that is the case, you can file an EEOC complaint,

wallstreetfighter :

and they will investigate the matter, and if they find that discrimination may be a factor,

wallstreetfighter :

they would allow you to bring a lawsuit.

Customer:

How do I go about filing an EEOC complaint?

wallstreetfighter :

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
Detroit District Office
477 Michigan Avenue
Room 865
Detroit, MINNN-NN-NNNNbr/>Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

wallstreetfighter :

You can contact them

wallstreetfighter :

by phone, and advise them you want to file a complaint.

Customer:

Thank you! XXXXX need to contact you again on the same subject, is this possible and will I have to pay again?

wallstreetfighter :

You can ask for wallstreetfighter, and I can answer your questions,

wallstreetfighter :

you will not have to pay again if it is a follow up,

wallstreetfighter :

good luck,

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

wallstreetfighter :

Thank you for the information. I will contact the EEOC and I will let you know how that goes! I appreciate your help.

good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us positive feedback, so we can receive credit.

Thank you
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer