How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20295
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can your employer change your the rate of pay for Holidays,

This answer was rated:

Can your employer change your the rate of pay for Holidays, Trainings, Vacation etc after you have been employed for 9 years?


Thank you for your question. Unless an employee has a contract for a specific term that locks in rate of pay, or they work under a bargaining agreement that does so, an employer is free to change the terms and conditions of employment, including wage rate. The only restrictions are that the employer cannot reduce wages below minimum wage, they must notify the employee prior to the change, and the employer cannot just target one particular employee for the reduction simply as a means of discriminating against that employee because they are a member of a protected class under employment discrimination laws.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Marsha411JD and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again Vicki,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 14th. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how Experts get credit for their work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had my email messed up so I just received the answer. Thank you so much. On my question, so even though I have been employed for 9 years, since they have changed the rate for holidays, vacation etc, I am included? Just seems so shady.

Hello again and thank you for your reply. Yes, unfortunately, although it isn't necessarily the best management decision, it would be legal assuming that you were given notice prior to the change and you didn't have a contract for a specific term that included rate of pay for those days.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, so is the handbook we signed for a legal contract? We signed for a handbook and they are making amends to it. Does that count?

Hello again Vicki--An employer may always change the handbook. It is not a term contract, so it is always subject to change unless there is a union with a bargaining agreement that restricts when the terms and conditions of employment can be changed. That is just the nature of employment "at will." Again though, if they change any rates of pay, they must notify employees before it becomes effective. In other words, once the work or holiday has passed, the employer cannot change the rate of pay retroactively. They can change it going forward though.