Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was working(welder), and some co-workers came to me and said

that they heard that our...
I was working(welder), and some co-workers came to me and said that they heard that our company was shutting down. I asked them how they knew this and another co-worker told them that a former boss showed him some spread sheets about our company and there was no work on the books after November, so I go ask this employee this and he said it was true. I asked another employee if he had heard anything about this and he said that another co-worker told him that our lead man said the same thing. It gets all around the shop and I got fired for spreading rumors and causing the morale of the employees to go down. Can I sue the company, in Oklahoma.
7/13/2013
TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your job.

I think the best thing here is to start with an explanation of the law in this area and then discuss your case in particular. In Oklahoma, and throughout the United States, employment law heavily favors the employer in most situations. Unless the employee has a contract which provides that the employee may only be terminated for cause, the law will hold that the employee's right to work falls under the At Will Doctrine. The At Will Doctrine provides that an employer may terminate an employee for any reason whatsoever, even if it is a false reason. The only limitation on this is that an employer may not terminate an employee because of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry of the employee.

In your case, you say you were terminated because of an allegation that you were talking about the company shutting down and lowering morale. Given that the employer has a right to terminate you for any reason that the employer believes is fit (even though you heard about this from someone else and it was actually true), do you believe that the termination was actually based on discrimination regarding your race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry?

If not, then there is no legal recourse here to sue for wrongful termination. If you believe there was discrimination or that you have a contract which states you may only be terminated for cause, let me know and I will give you the steps you need to take next.

In this situation, even though you were terminated, you arguably were not terminated for insubordination or for failing to do your job correctly, and thus there was no just cause for terminating you. That means that you would still qualify for unemployment benefits.

TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer

What about a civil suit for slander?

Yea, I believe there was discrimination against me. The person that started the rumor is white and still has his job, my supervisor is white also, I am black. I've never been wrote up for anything and never late.

TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer