How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked as a Physician for a hospital that was taken over

This answer was rated:

I worked as a Physician for a hospital that was taken over by another hospital. For months leading up to the merger I was told my job would be fine. Right after the merger I was told I needed to re-apply for my job and I needed to be board certified. Now I am unemployed.
Thank you for your question.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Based on the turn of events, I am assuming you had no formal contract in place. How can I assist you this evening, what can I answer for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No contract. Is there any recourse to recover lost wages. I have a schedule from them to work in July. If I knew before that this would happen i would've made other arrangements. I was blindsided.

Thank you for your follow-up, Scott.

My apologies, truly. However if you are without a contract, you are strictly 'at-will'. Employers owe no duty to employees who are at will to pay lost wages based on termination, even for termination 'without cause'. About the only option may be to contact HR and to negotiate a severance package for termination which is something you can bring up. Just please be aware that the employer likewise has to agree to the severance. Your position to demand severance improves if you can show that you performed or obtained specific benefits for the employer, for example you wrote and published studies under your name while affiliated, or that you were head of a unit. Otherwise, it is a situation that once an employer chooses to release you, there is limited recourse unless their decision was based on discriminatory factors.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you