Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

My question is this: I was demoted without cause (or any paperwork),

My question is this: I was demoted without cause (or any paperwork), and then told I had to train my replacement. Since then one of my managers has written me up for insubordination and improper attitude. Would this be considered a hostile work environment? I am not a minority or other protected case.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately "hostile work environment" harassment is a legal term that was created in, and only exists in, an unlawful discrimination case. In other words, the "severe and pervasive" harassing behavior must be motivated by a bias because the employee is a member of a protected class under employment discrimination laws. So, no unlawful discrimination, no hostile work environment.

Of course if there is a contract or company policy that the employer is violating, then that would be an issue to take up with HR. Otherwise, this may be one of those situations where the boss is just unprofessional and not a very good manager, forcing you to decide if you want to stay working in this situation or find a more comfortable employment arrangement.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.