How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19182
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Simple one (Arizona) A small business (cell phone repair

This answer was rated:

Simple one (Arizona)

A small business (cell phone repair shop) that I owned with one partner went out of business a couple months ago and has been permanently closed. One of our employees was owed $1,800 at the time and we couldn't pay it.

Employee has now filed a wage claim. Do I even respond since we still are unable to pay it?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.


You need to respond, as failure to respond may result in an assessment of fines. Wages are the first thing to be paid when closing a business, so the state is going to want to review how you closed the business and where the closing capital went.


You don't want them making assumptions in your absence, because they will make decision against your interest and take evidence in the light most favorable to their position if you don't include yourself in the discussion.

Allen M., Esq. and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you