How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5554
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I entitled to vacation pay agreed upon in writing (dated

This answer was rated:

Am I entitled to vacation pay agreed upon in writing (dated e-mails) once I have left employment in the state of WI? I left for another job, not discharged. See chapter 109 of WI state laws 'Wage Payments, Claims & Collections. A private employer operating in the state of WI
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. Vacation pay is a wage under Wis. law and must be paid in compliance with written agreement. If there is no written agreement it must be paid in compliance with the law. Employer's can limit in writing when vacation pay is due upon resignation or termination. However, if there is no such writing that limits the payment of vacation pay upon termination, then the employer must pay it out upon termination of employment or it is a wage violation.

You do not indicate that there was such a limitation in your vacation agreement/policy with the employer. Thus I would be led to believe that you have a rightful claim to that pay. If the employer refuses to pay this amount, you can bring a wage claim with the state. You can demand the employer pay this amount, and if it fails to pay, file a charge with the state at this website. The state will then investigate and collect your owed vacation pay.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but, if you don't rate my answer, the website holds your entire deposit and I get nothing for assisting you.

John and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you