AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.
10805288

I am leaving my current employer tomorrow. I have worked for

I am leaving my current employer tomorrow. I have worked for this company for 30 1/2 years. I contacted HR and they told me that my health insurance ends the day I leave the company. I thought it would cover me at least until the end of the month. Is this leagle?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing Employment law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

I am leaving my current employer tomorrow. I have worked for this company for 30 1/2 years. Impressive tenure!

I contacted HR and they told me that my health insurance ends the day I leave the company. I thought it would cover me at least until the end of the month. Is this leagle?Yes, health insurance is part of your compensation plan for being employed with that employer, and like a paycheck, unless you work out a settlement or a severance, if warranted, it can end when the paycheck ends. There is COBRA, of course, which you can likely avail yourself of, but that means you pay not only your regular portion of the premium, but that portion your employer was picking up as well.

I wish it were easier!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.