How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boss is making it hard for me to come into work. He is very

This answer was rated:

My boss is making it hard for me to come into work. He is very aggressive and curses at his employees. My performance at work is being affected by this because i don't want to be around him. I could be fired on account of this issue. Do I have a case for Workplace harassment? I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.


Does he treat everyone this way or are you being singled out based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he pretty much treats all 3 of us the same way. he almost got hit by a truck one day because he was screaming at me on the phone.

Unfortunately, the definition of workplace harassment, at least for workplace harassment that comes with a legal recourse, does not include generalized harassment.


The U.S. Supreme Court defined hostile work environment as a workplace with harassment that is based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use. Without one of those illegal factors, this sort of generalized harassment is not yet illegal in our country.


Some states, recognizing the problem with that, have considered passing workplace dignity laws that would make generalized harassment also actionable, but no state has managed to pass one of those laws yet.


Regrettably, the only legal recourse that could be available to you is to continue to document the treatment and complain to your employer so that you can potentially quit and obtain unemployment based on leaving for "good cause." It's very difficult to make this stick though. You have to document for a while and even explain to your employer that if they don't resolve the issue, you'll be forced to quit. That often results in a termination actually, but being terminated for complaining about generalized harassment is not disqualifying for unemployment, so your right to unemployment would at least be preserved.


I wish that I could give you a more encouraging answer here, but the law just doesn't support doing so.

Allen M., Esq. and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so regardless of how depressed I get and how badly this is affecting my work environment/home environment there would be nothing i could do within the confines of the law for this? I plan to take your advice and document my findings at very lease i will be able to protect my family from hardship with unemployment while i procure other employment.

I am just now seeing your response.


In terms of employment law, no amount of depression on your part changes it from generalized to illegal harassment.


If you can medically establish that you are depressed specifically due to the work environment that can create a worker's compensation, workplace injury claim, but that is an insurance matter and will depend on how your worker's compensation carrier classifies workplace injuries.

Related Employment Law Questions