Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I own a commercial janitorial company in Arizona and Nevada.

Are there any laws that...
I own a commercial janitorial company in Arizona and Nevada. Are there any laws that state my employees cannot wear shorts to work if there are no risks of injury? Please advise.
7/1/2013
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. No, if you, as the employer, determine that no hazards present in the workplace that would necessitate the wearing of personal protective gear, including long sleeves and long pants, etc., then there is no law that per se prohibits the wearing of shorts. If you haven't already, you will want to read the guidance put out by OSHA at: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9777

You do have the ultimately responsibility to evaluate the workplace for hazards and train your employees and mandate the appropriate protective clothing.

Please let me know if you have any specific follow up questions I can assist you with.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer