Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I am currently working at a company in Illinois that is paying

I am currently working at a company in Illinois that is paying my salary while I look for another job. I would like to start a new job this fall. They will stop paying me when I "accept another offer".

I recently received an offer from an employer in another state with a Fall start date. Will my current employer be able to verify the DATE of when I ACCEPTED the offer? Or will they just be able to verify my start date?

Can my current employer legally come after me?

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

RayAnswers :

The employer here accept your word about an acceptance date.It is possible that you are able to delay the end of your current salary.

RayAnswers :

It is also possible that they contact the new employer to verify the date of the acceptance of he new position.Here the new employer may or may n ot give up that information.

RayAnswers :

While it is possible the old employer here could come after you with a demand letter and civil suit for any overpayments it is unlikely they do so.

RayAnswers :

I am not sure if you can delay the acceptance of the new job with new employer but if you can do so obviously it is to your advantage.Also if you can tell the current company that you are accepting and starting giving the fall date that would be your best chance to continue to be paid.Time will tell whether they accept that.

RayAnswers :

Honestly in many cases employers will accept what you tell them as overall they had agreed to pay here anyway up to a certain date.

RayAnswers :

I would try to couch any notification to them with a date in the fall where you are accepting and beginning a job.This would maximize your salary to cover the period.

RayAnswers :

Hopefully you are able to get them to pay.It is worth a try to use the fall date as a date of accepting and beginning a new job here.

RayAnswers :

I wish you good luck with the new position.

RayAnswers :

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.Please let me know if you have follow up.

RayAnswers :

Overall this is strictly employer specific as to when they cut off the severance salary.

RayAnswers :

If you have more chat here please just ask, it is never a problem, be happy to follow up /

RayAnswers :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: Ok. Is there a way for my current employer to find out who my new employer is before
Customer: I start my new job? Thank you
RayAnswers :

Unless the new employer contacts them for say a reference.But it is unlikely here they do contact new employer.It is possible but not likely they would fool with this but rather accept your information provided to them.I do hope you can use the fall date and get paid for the interval.This would be best for you and allow you a period to transfer your life into the new job.Good luck with the new job.I know looking for one can be real stressful.

RayAnswers :

I think you would be ok here until you notify employer of your accept/start date in the fall.

RayAnswers :

It is worth it to you to try and use this date so that you will be able to transition here to the new employer and job.

RayAnswers :

It sounds like you have made a good plan here to transition.

Customer: It is worth the risk to just not tell them if/when i accept the offer. My company will pay me for 8 more weeks and that lines up with when my new job will start.
RayAnswers :

I agree with you here that its worth a short given your facts.

RayAnswers :

Its the best way you can try to transition and keep getting paid.

Customer: Agreed. Thank you so much!!
RayAnswers :

You are so welcome.I am excited you got the new job.

RayAnswers :

Have a great weekend. If you can leave a positive rating it is much appreciated,

RayAnswers :

Take care and thanks again.