Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

As a company truck driver, is a company required to pay job…

As a company truck driver...
As a company truck driver, is a company required to pay job related travel expenses such as meals?
6/16/2013
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer

Dear XXXXX, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provided you with Excellent Service,

You asked the following:

"As a company truck driver, is a company required to pay job related travel expenses such as meals? "

Answer

A company does not have to pay travel related expenses, unless there is a written Agreement between the employer and the employee that the employer will be responsible for reimbursement of an employee's travel related expenses. The employee can take all unreimbursed travel expenses as "business expenses" on his income tax return.

If you are the employee, I am sorry that I could not give you the Answer you were hoping for and it would have given me great pleasure to do so, but I have an ethical obligation to you to give only correct Answers and information, so I am respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you not hold the law applicable to your situation against me when rating my service to you,

__________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Hi Andrea, I fully expected that was the case. It just seems that in a struggling economy and companies cutting pay, they would help with increasing cost to us out on the road.
I appreciate your honesty as I would of any professional whether the answer is in my best interest or not.

Sincerely,

Thomas.

Hi, Thomas, I agree with you because companies are in a better position to absorb this cost and can make better use of this as a deduction, more so than an individual can. When you have the opportunity to speak to management, work this into the conversation and convince them to see your point of view. You might be surprised and they might be more receptive than you think to the idea. If they do not want to pay the entire cost, you might suggest splitting the cost, at least you will have gotten your "foot in the door" and it will give them a better idea of the overall costs which the employees are paying when they are on the road, You never know. Please be kind enough to rate my service so that I can receive credit for furnishing you Answers and information, otherwise, I will not receive any credit for assisting you. Thank you for understanding,

__________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer