wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I just received a letter from the CEO of the company I worked

I just received a letter from the CEO of the company I worked for telling me that I have abandoned my position and that they accept that I have chosen to to terminate my employment. I was spoken to 10 Days ago by one of the Manager's that the owner felt she no longer needed my services and that she has been trying to figure a way to get rid of me for months (along with some other negative feedback). I did not go back to work under the assumption that A. I was just let go or B. was going to be real soon. I did ask the owner/President the following day to meet with me to discuss and she wouldn't meet me outside of the office. I was not comfortable going into the office under the circumstances and current environment. I have been with the company for almost three years and other than three to four sick days, have not missed a day.
My question is how do I respond to this letter?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is a serious situation,

wallstreetfighter :

you need to respond in writing claiming that you were terminated by the manager and state exactly what was told to you,

wallstreetfighter :

In your letter you can state that you wanted a meeting, and was rejected, so you knew you were terminated,

wallstreetfighter :

by doing this you protect yourself, if they try to claim you quit your job,

wallstreetfighter :

and try to deny you unemployment benefits,

wallstreetfighter :

If they are claiming you quit, that could hurt you in future employment opportunities as well

Customer:

Do i mention in the letter that she asked me to come into the office with another person present to discuss? she does not deal well with any difficult conversation or conflict. She normally has me handle it/them.

wallstreetfighter :

Yes, you can state that, but you must stress in your letter that you were terminated by the manager,

wallstreetfighter :

and that was your understanding,

Customer:

Ok - Thanks