How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117454
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sue 6 people who slander and defamation at my place

Customer Question

I want to sue 6 people who slander and defamation at my place of employment. Just how do I go about that?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Slander and defamation are essentially two names for the same tort. Defamation is the injury to one's reputation, either by written expression (libel) or oral expression (slander). The general rule is that libel or slander is not actionable unless the plaintiff suffers special damages, i.e., those contemplating the loss of something having economic or pecuniary value, Wads worth v Beaudet et al, 267 AD2d 727 [ NY 3rd Dept 1999]. This means that in order to prove a case for slander that you can win in court, you not only have to prove these individuals made known false statements about you to third parties, you have to also prove that you suffered actual monetary loss.

If you have suffered some actual monetary loss then you would file a petition or complaint against the individuals and in that complaint you would have to specifically set forth the statements that were known to be false and also the actual damages you have suffered. Upon filing the complaint, you have to then serve each defendant with a copy of the complaint and a summons and they have to answer the complaint and then the case proceeds to trial.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.