Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Our 12 year old daughter was injured at public school during

Our 12 year old daughter was injured at public school during a scheduled recess period. She fell off the monkey bars. The injuries resulted in a fractured elbow, which required reconstructive surgery. I used my employee provided insurance benefits for the emergency room visit, surgery, and physical therapy. I just now received a letter from my insurance company asking for claim information with the school district so they can file for reimbursements.

Are we entitled to file an insurance claim against the school district? Is this something I can do myself? I am not sure I want to prove negligence, but mainly would like the medical bills covered. What is our recourse?

Thank you,

Jeff
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I do not know why your insurance is asking for the school insurance information, since school insurance coverage provided is considered secondary insurance meaning they would be liable to pay what your primary insurance did not pay. However, you are entitled to file a claim with the school district for anything your insurance did not cover and you can provide the information to your insurance for them to try to file a claim.

The only way you would have an actual legal claim against the school would be if their insurance policy states it is primary coverage, which would be very odd, or if the injury occurred due to negligence of a school employee in which case you would have grounds to sue the school for negligence and they would have to cover if the court finds the injury could have been prevented if it was not for that negligence (as you mentioned).

You are entitled to file an insurance claim with the school insurer as a secondary claim and the school has to provide you the insurance information to file that claim.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.