How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wallstreetfighter Your Own Question
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 17248
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
wallstreetfighter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work part time for a security company. I earn an hourly salary

This answer was rated:

I work part time for a security company. I earn an hourly salary . The companies HR department is demanding I come in to talk about a situation. They are being very vague . The will not compensate me for my time. I told HR I would be available. They threaten that if I don't come in I won't work. Can they do that?
Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

If you are required to come into work for some reason, off work hours you have to be compensated as per the FLSA, which governs wages.

You would be able to file a State wage complaint against the employer if they fail to pay you.
wallstreetfighter and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the threats?
Under the law the threats of termination are allowed, unless you are an Union employee, or on a contract.