Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work for a school district in Illinois as a central office

administrator and requested vacation time...
I work for a school district in Illinois as a central office administrator and requested vacation time and of course school is already out. My vacation request was denied. Can the boss legally do that? There is nothing in writing that states when employees can or cannot use vacation.
6/5/2013
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation,

wallstreetfighter :

Under the law in Illinois, an employer is allowed to reject or approve any vacation requests, unless there is a written policy that states otherwise,

wallstreetfighter :

The law does not require an employer to give vacation time at all. But, the regulations say “oral promises, handbooks, memoranda, and uniform patterns of practice may create a duty to pay the monetary equivalent of earned vacation.” If an employer does provide paid vacation, they have to keep annual records of how much is earned and taken.

wallstreetfighter :

If you feel your denial was due to your race, gender, age or any other protected civil right,

wallstreetfighter :

you may have a discrimination complaint,

Customer:

I was told verbally on Monday that I could take it but today the specific dates were denied verbally. I plan to take sick days anyway since I already made plans based upon the verbal authorization.

wallstreetfighter :

They have clearly acted unprofessionally, however the law does not protect employees in their request for vacation, if the employer had given you written authorization, you could argue that issue,

wallstreetfighter :

However, it will be difficult as there is no polcy stating the employer cannot deny a request at anytime

wallstreetfighter :

Without such a policy the law allows the employer to act this way

Customer:

I guess the law allows you to take sick days too because that is what I will do.

wallstreetfighter :

Yes, good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask

wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer