wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I am a well educated 52 year old and a 24 year employee at

I am a well educated 52 year old and a 24 year employee at a fortune 50 corporation. I am at a director level with a six figure income and have worked hard over my career with a stellar performance record to be at the level that I am at. I have a large accountability and span of control. I have been experiencing a slow and gradual memory loss problem that is now affecting my ability to think on my feet and remember basic information that one would expect a leader at my level to do without any issue. It is causing problems with my ability to perform at the level in the organization that I am currently at.

I finally seeked medical attention and went through a half day of neuropsychological testing at the recommedation of my family doctor. There is a seven page report that outlines the findings but the quick summary is that I have mild neurocognitive impairment and there is concern that I am in the early stages of dementia. There are several red flags that back this conclusion up. I am in the process of getting multiple follow-up medical tests scheduled, including brain cat scan and other stuff I don't really understand well.

I recognize this is a complex issue and a simple Q&A isn't going to provide the answers that I need. So my question is about a referral. I need employment related legal counsel that will help me understand what my rights are in this situation and how I should expect to be treated by my company as I sort through this issue. I am afraid that I have a medical situation that may affect my ability to perform and eventually get terminated.

I would appreciate some direction. This is new territory for me and I am really concerned about this issue.

Thanks

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, you should seek an employment law firm to represent you, to find the best firms in your area you should contact your local bar association and ask for attorneys with over 15 years experience in the field.

wallstreetfighter :

In terms of legal issues, you may be protected by the ADA,

wallstreetfighter :

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer cannot terminate or discriminate any employee with a recognized disability,

wallstreetfighter :

and the employer must provide reasonable accommodations,

wallstreetfighter :

You should find out what your exact diagnosis is, and ask your Doctor, if your symptoms can be controlled with medication,

wallstreetfighter :

Also, ask if you can continue your job if given some accommodations at work.

Customer:

OK thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. this is all new territory to me and I have never needed an attorney for anything. I will go to the link you suggest and find someone who can assist me, hopefully in my local area that I can meet face to face with.

wallstreetfighter :

Yes, that is prudent, however you should have a full knowledge of your diagnosis and condition,

wallstreetfighter :

If you can control it with medications, you would be allowed to continue working, and the employer would be prohibited from taking any negative action against you.

wallstreetfighter :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.

Customer:

Thank you again. I am satisfied and will provide positive feedback.

wallstreetfighter :

http://www.mytela.org/TE/

wallstreetfighter :

The link above is the TX employment association, they will be a good source of qualified attorneys.

wallstreetfighter :

Good luck

Customer:

thank you again.