wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I am a salary employee. When calling a subordinate last week

I am a salary employee. When calling a subordinate last week regarding a critical business issue i received no answer. I used profanity when hanging up the phone and it was recorded on their voice mail. I was given a week of for this which I understand. I have now been called in for a meeting in which I will be terminated.

My profanity was accidentely recorded. these were my private thoughts in my office. In addition I was already punished for this once. this is my dilemma. Any thoughts?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation, typically using profanity at the workplace is not an offense which results in a termination, however unless you are part of a Union or have a contract that states you can only be terminated for cause, the employer in Ohio is allowed to terminate you for any reason.

wallstreetfighter :

If you can claim the termination is due to your race, gender, age or other protected civil right, you can claim discrimination,

wallstreetfighter :

If that is not the case, your only remedy is to apply for unemployment benefits, and if they claim you were terminated for cause, you can fight them and state that the termination did not raise to the level of misconduct,

wallstreetfighter :

If they give you a negative reference which causes you to lose future job opportunities you can sue them for defamation as well.