Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have PTSD due to being in WTC 9/11, it is covered via workers

I have PTSD due to being in WTC 9/11, it is covered via workers comp since 2001. I have worked for my employer for 16 years. I travel 90% and recently had a bad experience after an airline delay caused me to spend the night at airport , couldn't take my regular medication, no sleep, lost luggage, company upset that I was late to meeting next day. My psychiatrist wrote note for accommodation that I need 8 hours sleep for medication to metabolize properly. Since it is a mental health accommodation, company requires Dr. to submit additional ratings on cognition, anxiety level, memory, concentration. For this, I had a full battery of neuropsychological testing by a neuropsychologist (PhD). It revealed some problems with short term memory adn concentration especially in regard to remembering stories (language) and more severe with anxiety, stress.

The Dr. suggested I also ask for accommodation to be able to have communications with my employer (not clients) either in writing, audio recording, or with someone else on the call. I think this is very helpful for me .

Question: I think this might annoy my employer, but it would be very helpful to me so that I am clear on all communication, especially in personnel matters. Does it sound like a "reasonable accommodation"?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: The suggested reasonable accommodation request is reasonable. However, your employer may not agree to all of them. Nevertheless, you should make the request and see what your employer would accommodate or not accommodate. Remember that your employer is not under any legal obligation to provide you with reasonable accommodation if doing so would cause undue financial hardship to the employer.