Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I am a union member and have a contract that has a misprint

I am a union member and have a contract that has a misprint - on one page it states that we will get a 2% raise on 7/1/13 and on the next page it states that we will get a 2% raise on 8/28/13. This contract was read by their attorney and signed by their CFO - does this mean they must give us both raises or does the fact that it was an overlooked misprint allow them to just give us one?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Unfortunately, if it was an actual mistake the law allows for a revision of the contract to the correct terms under a theory known as "mistake of fact".

JD 1992 :

The burden will be on them to prove that it was a mistake and the fact that it has the signature of their lawyer and a CFO makes it harder for them to prove.

JD 1992 :

However, if everybody agrees that it is a mistake then it can be revised.

Thank you for the Positive Rating. If I can be of any further assistance to you in the future please feel free to come back and ask for me. You can do that by starting your question with "FOR JD 1992"and I'll pick up as soon as I see it. I am online for at least a few minutes almost every day.