Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I work with a small biotech pharmaceutical company. A competitor

I work with a small biotech pharmaceutical company. A competitor company has started to court me, and I would like to make sure this is legally safe before I interview. I did not sign a non-compete, however did sign a non-disclosure agreement when I was hired 2 1/2 years ago.

Obviously trade secrets and confidential business information is not to be shared. However, with a similar territory I would essentially just be changing business cards.

Please advise, thanks

Thank you for the information and your question. There is no legal exposure or restriction in your interviewing with a competitor as long as you are cognizant of the trade secret and proprietary information restrictions. That said, if your current employer finds out you are interviewing with a competitor then, unless you have job protection through a contract or company policy, they could terminate you. That is because Arizona is an employment "at will" state, which means the employer is free to terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning. So, you might want to limit who you tell that you are interviewing.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.