Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Hi, I have a question. I was working for an eye doctor for

Hi, I have a...
Hi, I have a question. I was working for an eye doctor for 4yrs and 5 months. Thru out my employment with this company they have asked me to take the mail to the post office after work and also when ever the alarm went off at work weither it was in the evening and even on weekends I was called by the office admin to drive to work to see why the alarm went off. My supervisor lived in Manassas and she would call me so she didn't have to drive out this way to check the office. My question is I never got paid for doing these things isn't that against the labor Law or not. I also read your membership fees and I do not wish to sign up for a membership. I just want to ask this one question and I don't want to be charged monthly.
5/21/2013
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provided you with Excellent Service, Thank you for your question,

First, please contact customer service at [email protected] to let them know that you are not interested. I am not tying to "pass the buck", but the Experts here do not have access to any customer's information, or access to any customer's accounts, so I apologize for not being able to help you in that regard,

The Fair Labor Standards Act and the Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division provides that if an employee is paid on an hourly basis, then the employer is required to pay his employees a straight hourly wage for the first 40 hours and to pay employees overtime equal to one and on-half (1 1/2) of their regular hourly wage if they work over 40 hours in any work week.

If you kept records of the date you were called to go and check the alarm, and to go to the post office and how long it took you, including your travel time, then you can present those hours to your employer and ask that you be paid for that time. It might be a source of misunderstanding if the employer was asking you to do a favor in checking the alarm and going to the post office. That would depend on your relationship with your employer. But, in order to prevent any future misunderstandings, you might want to mention this to your employer and say that you are keeping an accurate account by date and time for these trips and would like to be paid.

____________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I can receive credit for researching

your question and providing you with a method to resolve your situation, otherwise I will not receive any credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on Survey are greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be of service,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer