How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33505
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked at a gas station for extra money a few months ago. My

This answer was rated:

I worked at a gas station for extra money a few months ago.

My manager accused me of scratching lottery tickets on the clockk by saying there was evidence on the cameras as well as scratch particals from the tickets. I would never have dohne that and if I did, I woudl have had to but them which there would have to be evidence of me doing that in the register, Is there any legal ramifications for agasint her?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful.

Can I presume that you had no written employment agreement?

Was you employment terminated?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I quit due to much harrassment (another issue) at work, it was a regular job, so no contract or anything like that if that is what you are asking
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

As far as remedies under employment law, if you have no written employment agreement then you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you are pretty much subject to the whim of your employer. They can change your schedule, your compensation or even terminate you at any time and for any reason or no reason.

The only limitation is that the employer may not take adverse action against you in violation of your civil rights (unlawful discrimination) or out of sexual harassment.

If you believe your civil rights are  being violated you can file a grievance with the EEOC at

Otherwise, it is really a matter of internal "office politics" and not something which could be redressed in court.

The other possibility is a claim for defamation. That requires a statement of fact which the person declaring knows or should know is untrue. However, if you quit your job, there is really no measure of damage.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name - JudgeLaw

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.

Related Employment Law Questions