Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was told I had a supervisor position April 5. I am told

I was told I had...
I was told I had a supervisor position April 5. I am told to keep waiting for HR to call me. I found out yesterday that they have not heard anything about the job through a friend. I have been attending supervisor meetings and project meetings and have been given projects. This is a local government municipality. I keep getting different excuses on why I haven't been notified. I was told not to contact them because i'm not suppose to know I have the job yet. meawhile, Everyone is congratulating me on the new position. I can't trust anyone anymore. Just need a word of advice? Please
5/18/2013
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.
If you have not heard from human resources you need to assume for now there is no offer. You have been asked to wait. I realize this is hard but you need to be patient. If you press inquiry you risk turning a potential offer into a no offer. Sometimes in government related position processing approvals takes weeks. Patience is key. Good luck.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I know I need patience, but can they have me do the job wiyhout pay legally hmmmm I guess I will find out one day
They cannot have you work without pay. If you are getting work from them including assignments, you are employed and need to be paid. If have not been assigned any work, you need to wait as we discussed. Patience is key and a difficult task.
Infolawyer, Lawyer