Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Hi Paul, I sent the e-mail to To THE: HR Director Reference:

Hi Paul, I sent the e-mail...
Hi Paul,
I sent the e-mail to To THE: HR Director
Reference: Retaliation and hostile work environment claim
… and bellow is the response that I got from the HR director… 1 Finding, 2 Options that the HR director is giving me:

Finding #1 (National Origin Discrimination claim from Jan 2012):
Your previous claim was investigated by ER with a finding of no basis.

Option #1 (group that investigates):
You need to contact the ER group of myHR . (877- 228- 4707)  I have requested they assign an ER Consultant to your claim and will forward the email when they have assigned someone.

Option #2 (HR director):
If you would like to discuss I am available.

Can I change the retaliation letter in to a discrimination one if retaliation is not valid?

What is your recommendation what is my best option/s?
Thanks
L
4/30/2013
Good morning. Thank you for coming back with your new question and asking for me.

They are claiming they investigated your national origin discrimination claim and found it not to be valid, but under the law even if your original claim of national origin discrimination is invalid, the employer is forbidden from retaliating against you for making that claim and can be sued for retaliation even if the original discrimination claim was not founded.

Thus, retaliation can still be valid and pursued if you have evidence this conduct started after you made your discrimination claim or you have other evidence you are being treated this way only because you made this complaint (as we previously discussed).

You can raise your discrimination claim again with the investigation unit, but you would do this in addition to your retaliation claim.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Ok, I am just going to let myHR team investigate this case; it will put everyone in notice and take me more serious that this behavior is unacceptable and I will let you know about the findings; also, will start documenting for the next complaint because there are other things going on.

Thanks

L

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you need to contact the investigation team as HR directed and let them proceed to investigate and prepare to make your complaint to the EEOC if necessary.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney