TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I worked for a co. that my friend owned for 11 years. Part

I worked for a co. that my friend owned for 11 years. Part of my job was to transport MHMR consumers to appointments and I used my personal vehicle and gas on all job related circumstances that required transportation. I kept gas receipts and at certain intervals I would turn them in for reimbursement. The owner would baulk at paying me back and would say as soon as we get to a certain point (of co. growth) he would make sure I was reimbursed. He was a friend and treated me like a partner so I was willing to wait. In January we had a falling out which caused me to end my employment with the co. What steps can I take to be reimbursed for, 1. use of my vehicles ( a brand new 2006 truck that in 6 years accrued 340,000 + miles of wear and tear mostly job related), and 2. no less than 1,000$ per month of gas over the past ten years.

Thank you for your question.

The problem with your position is that you are not automatically entitled to reimbursement for your gas or wear and tear on the vehicle unless there was a specific agreement between you and your employer that the employer would do so. The law does not automatically grant this to you, it leaves it to you to negotiate.

Do you have anything in writing which calls for the reimbursement?