TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I worked for Delta Airlines for 30 years. When hired I was

I worked for Delta Airlines for 30 years. When hired I was given a basic life insurance policy worth $50,000.00 once retired that reduced to $10,000.00. Before I retired I took a leave of absence offer to me and I just retired out of that leave. Now I am being told because I took the leave of absence I no longer qualify for the basic life insuance. This was given to all employees at no cost, my seniority went on while on leave and I was able to keep my flight benefits, my question is why or how did I loose my basic life insurance that was given to me that I never had to pay for after being on a leave sponsored to help Delta save money, I kept all other benefits? Please help me understand and help me with words to say to Delta when I challenge them about my benefit.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wait for you, for I am very concerned about how this happened and making sure I still have a right to challenge the issue.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still ok with waiting if you are working on an answer for me.

Thank you for your continued patience while we continue our search.

Regards,
Wendy

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. Before I can provide a helpful response, I need just a little more information.

Do you have an employment contract or union contract that states that you are entitled to the life insurance policy while on the leave of absence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, it's been some 30years ago and I don't even know where those papers would be. It's been since 1996 since I was on leave and I retired in 2003. Delta does no allow a union and the employees sevice center is the only contact I have to research policy and procedure now.

Hi again.

If you have no employment contract which stipulates that you are entitled to the life insurance policy, then Delta has no legal obligation to give it to you. I'll address your specific question:

Question: "why or how did I loose my basic life insurance that was given to me that I never had to pay for after being on a leave sponsored to help Delta save money, I kept all other benefits?"

Answer: Without a contract that states otherwise, it is lawful for Delta to have a company policy where employees who go on sponsored leave will keep all benefits except for life insurance. Accordingly, you likely only have a case against Delta if you can point to an employment contract which stipulates that you are entitled to the life insurance if you go on sponsored leave.

Please note that I am assuming that there aren't issues such as illegal discrimination based upon factors like race, religion, gender, etc. If there are such issues, then please let me know.

I am truly sorry to give you the bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. I do ask that you rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not based upon whether the answer was good news or bad news. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA