Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can an employer fire you for excused absences?

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/8/2013
TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer

It entirely depends on the situation. So I need to know more to be able to answer your question.

1. How many employees work for your employer?

2. How long have you worked for your employer?

3. What was the reason for the absence and how was it excused?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-ZDN

approximately 150 people.

She has changed the rule to where if you don't make up the absence on another day it is unexcused absence no mater what the situation is.

I was in the hospital for two days with severe headaches and they were ruling out stroke. But, I also had taken time off and switched with a prn person that she is now saying that is unexcused

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you are saying.

When you were in the hospital, you took the time off by switching work schedules with another employee?

No she is saying that it doesn't matter why your missing its that your not here and that Is unexcused

Thanks for your response.

Again, I need to know how long you have worked for the employer to determine whether you have protection under any potentially applicable law.

we have only been open 22 months

Thank you for your response.

The Family Medical Leave Act requires that an employer allow you up to 12 weeks a year off work for serious medical conditions, such as what you are describing. Accordingly, your employer would be prohibited by the FMLA from terminating you for taking this time off.

Does your company have an HR division?
TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer