Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Review contracts for major corporations
14472836

I believe my co- worker used her Ipad to record my conversations

I believe my co- worker used her Ipad to record my conversations at work after everyone is gone and I have to stay with another co-worker to close the day? I have been the target of bullying at my office because I always do what is right and not follow what the bullies want me to do. Is it illegal for her to do record my conversations with out my consent?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

In Texas, it is legal to record a conversation as long as one party to the conversation consents. This applies to both telephonic and non-telephonic recordings. Recording of a third party conversations is illegal (unless it is employer).

Texas Penal Code Ann. §16.D2(c)(4) provides: It is an affirmative defense to prosecution for interception of wire communications that one was a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication gave prior consent to the interception.

There is an exception your employer may record conversations in the workplace as long as there is no expectation of privacy.

If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.