How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I also have an eeo case in federal court, against the united

This answer was rated:

I also have an eeo case in federal court, against the united states postal service, I am defending pro se. I would appreciate any assistance in properly requesting a meet and confer in good faith prior to filing a motion to compel. Is it a simple request, or do I respond to every item on the response to my discovery that I disagree with? I actually have 4 items I definitely want answers to. Though they hardly answered anything and sort of tapped danced around it all.

You need to write a letter stating specifically what you have a problem with in all their answers and then stating that you are going to call them on a certain date and at a certain time to discuss the matter fully. That will fulfill your meet and confer obligations under the federal rules and allow you to proceed with the motion to compel and fill out a "certificate of conference" confirming that you met and conferred before bringing the motion.

Please let me know if you have further question. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was hoping for more of a template. What I have learned through this process is that letters don't cut it. They want legal jargon on legal numbered paper
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
In legal matters you don't just write a letter like... Dear sir,
you need a template on legal numbered paper with a heading depicting the civil law that governs what you are doing, with legal jargon on legal numbered paper. That's what is worth 26 dollars to me. The legal wording I am not familiar with for my document. Its not asking for legal advice or representation. I know what I have to do. I just need the correct way to do it in federal court. Im up against the US attorney
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one thing I have learned with this case is that a dear sir, letter does not cut it. I was hoping for a template with the civil rule that governs the action, with all its legal jargon and on numbered paper. This is against the US attorney and he does not accept anything less. Also what does a certificate of conference look like and do they sign it when i file the request with them or how do I prove I made the attempt as a call doesn't leave a signature?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
your experience is exactly what my case is about. Wrongful termination with discrimination. I wish you could work with me pro bono. :-)
You rated my service poorly, which hurts my job ratings with my employer, and you did this without giving me a chance to reply to you. Perhaps you did not understand the effect of the rating.

You are absolutely incorrect in your assumption on what is needed. So I think its rather odd that you assume to know what you do and don't do "in legal matters" as you have stated above. You are representing yourself in federal court in the United States (one of the most complicated legal systems in the world) and you are not a lawyer, which is akin to deciding to perform surgery on yourself when you are not a doctor.

You asked how to satisfy your meet and confer requirements. You need to send a letter, just as I said. The letter will be an Exhibit to your Motion to Compel. There is no "template" for the letter. Further, to write a letter like this at regular attorney fee rates would cost hundreds of dollars as they are time consuming.

In the letter, you need to state:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Plaintiff is writing to meet and confer regarding the interrogatories/requests for production that were sent to Defendant on _______ (date). The responses were grossly insufficient and the objections were baseless.

(Then you go through each deficient answer and explain why the responses is insufficient and why the objection does not apply).

(Next): I will contact you on (date) to fully discuss this matter with you as Plaintiff wishes to resolve this discovery dispute without court intervention. However, if substantial new responses are not forthcoming in ten days from the receipt of this letter, I will file a Motion to Compel and seek appropriate relief.


TexLaw and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think I replied in the ask a new question area. Sorry again. Anyway, 1 last thing. The certificate of conference? Is that a specific form, and where is it derived from? At point of receipt of delivery of letter? Because I plan on delivering it personally to his office.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your added effort to a non-professional. This at least gives a format. I needed to include all the pieces in the body of the letter, as it gets kicked back otherwise and delays the process. A lawyer's way of buying time against someone who isn't a lawyer, in hopes of wearing them down and getting them to give up.

A certificate of conference is what you add to the motion when you file it. It says the following:


I hereby certify that on ____________(date), I sent a letter to opposing counsel (attached hereto as Exhibit ___) which explains the issues I have with his client's deficient discovery responses. Thereafter we had a telephone conference on _____________(date) to attempt to resolve this dispute. We were unable to come to a satisfactory agreement regarding this matter and I am forced to seek judicial intervention.

__________________________(your signature)"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Got it thank you. We are complete.