Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work part-time and Im a union member. My gross pay for the

I work part-time and I'm...
I work part-time and I'm a union member. My gross pay for the week was 134.64. After taxes I was left with 111.32. The union then took all of that for union dues and an initiation fee, leaving me with $0.00. Can the union due this? What rights do I have because I'm not a fan of working for nothing.
4/1/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, legally if you belong to a union they are entitled to their dues for representing you as a member. Sadly, this is what happens with unions, they charge considerable dues to represent members and negotiate contracts and pursue grievances with the employer. I am afraid that if your dues were due and owing, they had a right to deduct those dues from pay and it is not an illegal deduction from pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney