How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I work for a fire department. I was on another near

This answer was rated:

Hello, I work for a fire department. I was on another near by fire department and was injured during a call. I fell off of a ladder and shattered my elbow. I was off of work for 2 months and have permanent nerve damage. I still fight fires and volunteer with a different department. Part of that it teaching kids age 12-20 about the fire service. At one of the training it was announced by another instructor that I would be teaching ladder evolution next training. One of the explorers then said 'oh no he only knows how to fall of of ladders.' And when she was asked where she got that from she said her father. He was not on the call and the only way he would know anything would be via a HIPPA violation, as once I was removed from the ground, I became a patient of the department. What is my best legal recourse?

Hello Kyle,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you. I

Accordingly, I'm pleased to say a remedy does exist, as follows. In fact, I can say that I'm also a registered nurse, so I speak from plenty of experience here.

As you mention, the applicable governing law is the statute called the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Pub.L. 104-191, 110 Stat. 1936. You can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Office for Civil Rights:

Federal Complaint

Doing so is free of charge. There is no private cause of action in this regard, meaning it's an exclusive remedy. In other words, filing such a complaint is not only an option, it is "the" next step to take.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Kyle,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.