Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Hi. I live in New York. I got laid off from a company I worked

for and now I am...
Hi. I live in New York. I got laid off from a company I worked for and now I am collecting unemployment.
I wonder how long the unemployment is for. I have a friend that got it for 2 years straight (from 2009 to 2011). How many months is the total someone can get it these days?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2013
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

According to the New York Department of Labor, you can only receive 26 times your full weekly rate. The same amount of money applies for weeks of partial unemployment. You may also be able to receive extended benefits.

Beginning with the week ending April 7th, federal government budget cuts known as sequestration could affect your unemployment insurance benefits. If you are receiving regular UI benefits you will NOT see any change. However, if you are receiving federal extended unemployment benefits that start after 26 weeks, the federal government has directed the New York Department of Labor to reduce your payments by 10.7% beginning that first week in April. New York State has no control over these cuts in benefits and no ability to waive or reduce the level of cuts. If you are going to be affected, you will receive a letter during the month of March telling you your exact benefit amount. It is best to use the department's webpage, Facebook page or contact the United States Department of Labor at 1-866-487-2365, the White House at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor your member of Congress at(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor updates.

EUC offers up to 53 weeks of benefits, in four tiers. All claimants may not qualify for every tier, or all 53 weeks, of EUC. Read on for details and key dates at http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/Breakdownofadditionalbenefits.shtm

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.

Thanks for your reply.

So after the 26 weeks in case I dont have a job yet I wont get unemployment anymore? I thought I could renew it for 26 more weeks.

What exactly is the federal extended unemployment benefits?

I started collecting UI at the beggining of December of 2012 and make 405 dollars a week.

Thank you so much

Then from the facts you've described, according to the chart, you would be eligible for 26 weeks of regular UI and at least 14 weeks of Extended Benefits (paid for by the federal government, not the state).

~~ J.B.

Then it will be the same amount as the one paid by the state?

And when should I apply for that?

At this juncture, because of the uncertainty with the federal budget situation, it's not possible to speculate what the federal benefit rate would be by the time you become eligible.

Right now, beginning with the week ending April 7th, federal government budget cuts known as sequestration could affect federal extended unemployment benefits that start after 26 weeks. The federal government has directed the New York labor officials to reduce payments by 10.7% beginning that first week in April. New York State has no control over these cuts in benefits and no ability to waive or reduce the level of cuts. Individuals who are going to be affected, will receive a letter during the month of March telling them their exact benefit amount.

Please check this website http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/ExtendedBenefits.shtm for the most up to date information concerning the sequestration cuts.

You can apply for benefits through your local One-Stop Center.

I hope this helps to clarify things!

~~ J.B.

Hi. Thanks for the answer. However it is not clear to me when I should apply for the federal extended benefits. At the end of the end of June my regular UI benefits will end (the 26 weeks). thanks

At this juncture, there is no need to apply. The hope is that, before your benefits run out, you will have obtained employment.

If you have not obtained employment within 30 days of when your benefits are scheduled to expire, then go to your local One-Stop Center to inquire about applying for the federal extended benefits.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer